Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Billy Joel & Elton John: 2009 Face 2 Face Tour

Only my closest friends know about my love of Billy Joel. It all started when I was about 4 years old back in 1977. We had a family friend's sister who was dating Billy Joel's saxophone player. They met in El Paso, TX (where we lived at the time) during a tour stop. Our family friend passed along an album to my dad. My dad was hooked at that moment and we listened to Billy a lot in our house over the years.

Listening to Billy Joel has always been something my dad and I have loved. We use to sing his songs in the car on long road trips. To this day, I always think of dad when I hear Billy Joel. Infact, my daddy/daugther dance at my wedding was to "Just the Way You Are". My dad also played a lot of Elton in the house, too. My dad loves to rock out and played drums for a rock n roll band when he was younger.

So, when I heard Billy Joel and Elton John were passing through San Antonio, I had to get tickets. The show is this coming Saturday night. This will be my 4th time to see Billy and my 3rd time to see Elton. Infact, the last time I saw Elton, I was 5 months pregnant with Sofia. Paul and I also saw them together when they did the Face to Face tour in Philadelphia back in 2001. It was so cool to hear Elton sing "Philadelphia Freedom" while we were in Philly and then Billy play "Allentown" just minutes down the road from the actual town. It was priceless to me and something I won't forget.


UPDATE: The concert was great! They played for over 3 1/2 hours. The songs really took me back to my childhood. Elton John had a great set, but Billy Joel was really the showman. Billy played a couple of real old hits that were a treat for me. He even did a few moves from his younger days. Paul and I just love hearing the Billy Joel songs that have references to New York and New Jersey. After living there, I now understand the places Billy Joel has been singing about for all of these years. Since I'm such a big Billy fan, I guess I was destined to marry someone from the Northeast. I hope we can see Billy Joel again in the future!



0 comments: